Building Materials and Technology Promotion Council (BMTPC), Ministry of Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation, Government of India has released this book through Knowledge World Publishers Pvt. Ltd. It is made by Rupal Desai (an architect) and Rajendra Desai (a structural engineer), the Honorary Joint Directors of National Centre for Peoples’-Action in Disaster Preparedness (NCPDP).
In India a majority of houses are built without the help of engineers or architects. The actual builders, namely the masons and contractors, and at times even the engineers possess inadequate know-how of designing cost effective hazard resistant construction, basic rules of good quality and details about the disaster resisting features. As a result it has been seen that the buildings perform poorly against natural hazards of earthquakes, cyclones and floods etc.
If, you are planning to build a house, it is best that you, as a house owner, find out if the area is prone to natural hazards and acquire the basic information for arriving at a variety of decisions in this regards. This Guide will take you through the critical steps of constructing a hazard resistant masonry building as listed here.
- Understanding the natural hazards present in the area,
- Basic rules for its planning including the site selection, developing floor plan, selection of roofing, and walling materials, and the building technology,
- Designing for safely resisting the forces of a disaster expected in the region including earthquake, cyclone and flood following BIS rules on wall thickness, height and length, controls for door and window openings, and special features for resisting the hazards,
- Tips on understanding of the construction materials and their purchase,
- Appointment of contractor,
- Rules to be adhered to in masonry construction,
- Care to be taken during the construction – To be a part-time site supervisor,
The book also gives tips on how to prepare for a disaster that can strike your area including making the interior of your house safer, preparations to be undertaken, and what should you do during and after a disaster.
Price: Rs.350 / US$10
How to acquire a copy?
This is available with us at a 50% discount plus the postage.